Bishop R. L. Hancock came to Charlotte, N. C., in 1946, preaching, in a borrowed tent on the corner of North Davidson Street and Belmont Avenue, that Jesus Christ is the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, and the Prince of Peace. Bishop Hancock was God’s Water Boy and he taught repentance of sins and baptism by immersion in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and being filled with the gift of the Holy Ghost, according to Acts 2:38 and Acts 2:4. He believed the Lord’s gospel is for every person as stated in Acts 17:26 “Of one blood God made all nations.” Bishop R. L. Hancock went to be with the Lord in 1986.
Baptisms were performed in Briar Creek
Bishop H. P. Hancock dedicated his life to the Lord at seventeen years of age. He followed Bishop R. L. Hancock from West Virginia to Charlotte to work for God.
The Lord blessed, and after a short while, the church was able to move from the tent to a church on Davidson Street which R. L. Hancock and H. P. Hancock built with their own hands.
God continued to bless and the church grew. In the early 1950’s, the church at 601 East 36th Street was purchased. The church was remodeled to include an indoor baptismal pool.
In 1979 the Lord laid on the heart of Bishop H. P. Hancock to build a new church. This is where we worship today. The building was dedicated in March of 1980.
C. E. Cox, Sr., joined the church in the early 1950’s. He served as Sunday School Superintendent, Associate Pastor, and in August of 1990 he was ordained as a Bishop. He went to be with the Lord August 25, 1995. He and his wife, Barbara, had 6 children, many of whom continue to serve in the church today.
John Stacy Major, Sr., married Bishop R. L. Hancock’s daughter, Lauretta, in October of 1950. Several years later he became invaluable to the church serving first as a custodian. Later he was ordained as a minister, and then as a Bishop in the church. His daughter, Frances Major Correll has been the church pianist for many years, and his son, John, Jr., is now the Pastor. Bishop Major went to be with the Lord July 13, 2004.